Bryan firefighters rescued several cats while responding to two separate fires over the weekend, one of which may have been intentionally set.

One fire was reported at 5:17 a.m. Sunday, at 325 Center Street.

“While en route, we got a report there were people inside,” Siders said. “We checked the house and found no one. Three cats were rescued and turned over to the Williams County Humane Society. The fire was contained to an upstairs bedroom,” he said.

“Preliminary findings indicated it was, in fact, arson,” he said.

The fire remains under investigation by the state fire marshal. Anyone with additional information about the incident is asked to call 1-800-589-2728.

The other fire was reported at 4:23 a.m. Saturday, outside on the deck at 05452 County Road 13.

“The fire was located on the inside corner of the exterior of the house,” Fire Chief Bruce Siders said in a phone interview with The Bryan Times Monday afternoon. “The home owner was spraying it down and keeping in check.”

Firefighters removed siding and checked for fire extension but the damage was minimal and mutual aid was canceled before it arrived.

“(The home owner) set up a heat lamp to warm some cats, but it was too close to the straw bedding,” Siders said. “The heat lamp caught the straw and the straw caught the house.”

No injuries were reported at either location.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.