The Ohio School Board Association held a professional development work session for new members of the Millcreek-West Unity Local Schools Board of Education prior to its regular meeting on Monday.
Steve Horton from OSBA led the hour-long session for newer board members Sarah Carothers and David Chester, designed to cover a range of topics including general boardmanship, student achievement, leadership, finance, policy and other critical issues, including school law.
The board in January agreed with a recommendation by Superintendent Jim Wyse to bring in the OSBA to present the seminar to help members learn skills to successfully lead a school district
In other action, the board:
• Accepted a donation of socks from Dortha Davis; a donation of $200 to the Family and Consumer Sciences Department from the Williams County Dairy Association; a donation of $150 from Phil and Sid Fogel to the football fund; and a donation of $1,052 from New Hope Community Church, for school lunches.
• Accepted the resignation of Desiree Arps as the assistant track coach.
• Approved 2020-21 membership in the Ohio High School Athletic Association.
• Approved requests for early completion of graduation requirements for Dan Shilling and Kali Collins.
• Approved an overnight student trip to the Midwest Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE) Student Research Symposium, from May 1-5, for seventh and eighth grade students who complete a science fair project dealing with water quality. They will travel with advisor Mrs. Abbie Smith to the University of Wisconsin, located in Madison, Wisconsin.
The next regularly scheduled board meeting will be Monday, March 16, at 6 p.m. in the library.