Montpelier

Montpelier Village Manager Jason Rockey said bids for the village’s final combined sewer overflow project came in lower than engineering estimates. He expects the project to begin in the fall.

MONTPELIER — The Montpelier Village Council awarded the bid for its final combined sewer overflow (CSO) project on Monday, with bids coming in lower than the estimates.

This will be the seventh, and last, CSO, untreated stormwater and sewage overflow in local streams and rivers.

The village has been working on these projects for 25 years and since the completion of the sixth project in 2019, Kevin Sommer, wastewater treatment plant supervisor, previously told council they’ve not had any overflows to report.

“Our system seems to be able to handle the surges of flow and we put out a pretty good wastewater with that,” Sommer said during his yearly update to the Montpelier Village Council in February.

Village Manager Jason Rockey said two companies submitted bids for the project.

The council chose to award the bid to Bryan Excavating for $2.6 million with a 5-0 vote. Councilman Kevin Motter was absent.

Rockey said both of the bids came in under the engineer’s estimate, which he previously said was nearly $3 million.

The village has a $2.75 million grant for the project with a village match of $400,000.

The project’s start date will depend on how long it takes to get the materials.

“We put the completion date for the project out until next June, so they would have a full year,” Rockey said. “We’re expecting this to probably be a fall project because most contractors have already bid the projects for the summer and the height of the construction season.”

Bryan Excavating, he added, did the previous two CSO projects for the village and those projects were all started in the fall and continued into the winter.

Rockey expected that to happen again with this project.

“The reason we went ahead and bid it now is because of the long lead times on manhole castings, pipe, everything, basically,” he said. “We wanted somebody to get the materials on the way and have plenty of time to complete the project without being rushed.”

Separately, Rockey addressed the power outage the village experienced last week.

Although he was out of the village until late Tuesday, he said the village lost power for several hours Monday night due to the same incident that left Edgerton without power until emergency generators came on.

That power outage stemmed from an incident at the railroad tracks on County Road 5, near the intersection of U.S. 6. The cause is still under investigation, but it is believed a lightning strike caused low lying wires that were then snagged by a passing train.

Rockey said Toledo Edison has part of the transmission loop open on Ohio 15 near Holiday City to do some work.

“When the transmission loop was damaged in Edgerton it also cut off power to the village,” he said. “It would have been much quicker to restore had that work not been going on. So that was the reason for power being out for three or four hours.”

Montpelier was put on backup power through Bryan Municipal Utilities using the JV4 line. Another power outage occurred on Tuesday night for no longer than three minutes to switch the transmission lines back.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.