North Central Local Schools accepted the resignation of athletic director and assistant principal Brian Hughes and hired girls basketball coach Greg Waidelich as its new athletic director on a one-year contract at its June board of education meeting.
Hughes, after three years with North Central, will be taking a principal position at Holgate High School, North Central Superintendent William Hanak said.
“We wish him the best of luck,” said Hanak.
Hanak praised the hire of Waidelich, who also serves in the role of high school math teacher, in addition to his duties as head girls basketball coach.
“He’s a fine, young candidate and we have high hopes he’ll be able to do the job; he’s interested and enthusiastic,” said Hanak. “Hopefully, we’ll have a smooth transition.”
In other action, the board:
• Approved an agreement between the board and the North Central Education Association for a period of three years, with a 2 percent increase in pay each year.
• Held early, tentative discussions to place a 0.5 percent tax on earned income on the ballot “in the near future,” according to Hanak. Earned income does not apply to those on a fixed income.
• Hired Scott Thompson as head football coach and Aubrie Redinger as head cross country coach.
• Approved employment of Cindy Myers as educational aide on a one-year contract; Ludmila Ford as Spanish instructor; Chris Fidler as fourth grade co-teacher; and Sam Hutchinson as junior high/high school English instructor.
• Approved the resignation of Tana Kappen, junior high English/reading teacher, and Brook Waidelich, junior high science/math teacher.
• Approved distribution of nearly $6,000 in scholarship funds payable through North Central for graduating seniors.
• Went into executive session to discuss employment of personnel and matters required to be kept confidential, with no action taken upon its completion, according to Hanak.